THE AFTERCARE OF YOUR TATTOO WILL GREATLY DETERMINE THE WAY YOUR TATTOO WILL LOOK ONCE IT HAS FULLY HEALED.
- Remove the bandage after one to two hours. All wounds need to breathe if they are to heal properly.
- Wash the tattoo using a mild antibacterial soap (such as Dial or Provon) and warm water. Gently remove all traces of blood and plasma to prevent scabbing.
- Pat it dry with a clean, soft cloth or paper towel and leave it alone for about 20 minutes (until it starts to feel like the skin is a little tight and dry). This allows for excess moisture from the swelling under the skin as well as moisture introduced by washing the tattoo to evaporate out. It’s very important to let your tattoo “breathe” like this any time you get it wet before it gets into the peeling stage.
- Once dry, apply a very thin coat of Aveeno Unscented Daily Moisturizing Lotion or Aquaphor to the tattoo. Only use enough to make it shine, a little goes a long way. Do not re-bandage the tattoo. Avoid bodywash/lotions with fragrances.
- Repeat the cycle of washing, drying, and applying ointment to the tattoo about 2-3 times per day for two weeks or until completely healed.
- You must keep your tattoo moisturized! When the tattoo is kept moist it doesn’t have a chance to form a scab but does form a thin membrane to protect the tattoo while it heals. This layer peels off very similar to a sunburn (do not peel your tattoo, you will pull the ink out!) and it is perfectly normal to see small flakes of colored skin falling off during this stage of healing.
- No swimming in the Ocean or a Pool, Hot Tubs, and Saunas. Avoid activities that will cause excessive sweating for at least the first two weeks.
- Please refrain from scratching or picking at the tattoo. Scrubbing with a washcloth can be very harsh on a tattoo and will cause your colors to fade. Disrupting the tattoo while it’s healing can also cause scar tissue. It is normal for the tattoo to become very itchy during the healing time. Just remember not to pick or scratch no matter what!
- Avoid tanning and direct exposure to sun until fully healed. Be sure to apply sunscreen once tattoo is fully healed and exposed to the sun.
- Wear loose clothing over your tattoo while it heals to avoid any rubbing that may pull off scabs.
If you have further questions regarding your tattoo, please Contact us.